Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 1,644 amid race to find survivors – as it happened | Myanmar

Myanmar earthquake death toll now at 1,644, says junta

The death toll from the Myanmar earthquake has risen to 1,644, the ruling junta said on Saturday, with 3,408 people injured, according to Agence France-Presse.

A statement from the junta’s information team said that at least 139 people are still missing after Friday’s 7.7-magnitude quake.

Earlier on Saturday, the country’s military junta said the death toll had surpassed 1,000.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Summary

Here’s a wrap-up of the day’s key events:

  • Damaged infrastructure in Myanmar is hindering humanitarian rescue operations, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said. “Damage to the Yangon/Naypyidaw/Mandalay expressway led to service disruptions, with cracks and surface distortions forcing highway buses to halt operations,” the UN agency said.

  • Initial field reports indicate that upwards of 1,600 people have died, more than 2,200 people have been injured and more than 200 people remain missing as search-and-rescue operations continue. Most of the deaths were reported in the Mandalay area.

  • A state of emergency has been declared in six areas of Myanmar: the Bago region, the Mandalay region, the Naypyidaw territory, the Sagaing region and parts of Shan state. The military junta currently governing Myanmar has called for international assistance.

  • Initial reports indicate that Mandalay international airport (with commercial flights cancelled until further notice), major bridges, roads, universities, hotels, historical and religious sites, and public service buildings in urban and rural areas have been heavily damaged or destroyed. Thousands of people are spending the nights on the streets or in open spaces due to the damage and destruction to their homes or fearing further quakes.

  • Supply infrastructure and communication towers have been severely affected and electricity and water services were disrupted, including in the Yangon region. Landline, mobile and internet networks remain unstable.

  • Damage to the the Yangon-Naypyidaw-Mandalay expressway has led to service disruptions, with cracks and surface distortions, forcing buses to halt operations. As the full scale of the disaster unfolds, urgent humanitarian assistance is needed to support those affected, Ocha stressed.

  • The emergency relief coordinator has allocated $5m from the Central Emergency Response Fund (Cerf) to support urgent response efforts.

  • Hospitals and health facilities have sustained extensive damage or destruction.

  • A severe shortage of medical supplies is hampering response efforts, including trauma kits, blood bags, anaesthetics, assistive devices, essential medicines and tents for health workers.

  • The European Union (EU) said it was providing €2.5m ($2.7m) in initial emergency aid and assessing the needs on the ground in order to mobilise further assistance from the bloc. “The EU stands in solidarity with people in Myanmar and the broader region enduring the aftermath of this powerful earthquake. As in previous disasters, the EU stands ready to help those most in need,” said the EU crisis management commissioner Hadja Lahbib.

Share

Updated at 

Source link

Latest

Apple leads a drop in tech stocks after Trump tariff announcement

Apple CEO Tim Cook, center, watches during the inauguration...

A Nemesis for Spring – Joy the Baker

I looked out the bathroom window this week and—boom—the...

Val Kilmer, Top Gun Actor and One-Time Batman, Dead at 65

Val Kilmer, the actor known for playing Iceman in Top...

Newsletter

spot_img

Don't miss

Apple leads a drop in tech stocks after Trump tariff announcement

Apple CEO Tim Cook, center, watches during the inauguration...

A Nemesis for Spring – Joy the Baker

I looked out the bathroom window this week and—boom—the...

Val Kilmer, Top Gun Actor and One-Time Batman, Dead at 65

Val Kilmer, the actor known for playing Iceman in Top...
spot_imgspot_img

Apple leads a drop in tech stocks after Trump tariff announcement

Apple CEO Tim Cook, center, watches during the inauguration ceremonies for President Donald Trump, right, and Vice President JD Vance, left, in the rotunda...

A Nemesis for Spring – Joy the Baker

I looked out the bathroom window this week and—boom—the trees have exploded in green buds overnight. We knew it was spring, but the absolute...